Wow. Doesn't that sound dramatic? It sure does. But in a weird way it also might come true - as I have experienced in the past.
(picture from http://diane-millsap.blogspot.nl/)
The first Kscope conference I attended was five years ago. And purely by coincidence that was in New Orleans as well! That first year I met all the people I knew from the forums, blogs etc. I had never met one of them before in real life. But due to the relatively small size of the conference and the specific open "Kscope culture" (you can just step up to anyone and start talking!), getting in touch with whoever you like is quite easy. So contacting the "guru's" - as I saw those people back then, I know better know; now they're all "just" friends - has never been easier!
And what did that bring me?
- After that Kscope I focussed more on sharing my knowledge by blogging, answering questions o the OTN Forum and presenting.
- After a few years Oracle rewarded my efforts with an ACE award (and I got an assignment as ACE Director some time later).
- I wrote a chapter in the Expert Oracle Application Express book - all the authors I have met at ... Kscope.
- I wrote (the major part) of the APEX for Mobile Web Applications book - what all started by someone I met at ... Kscope.
- Currently I run the Dutch branch of the APEX Evangelists company. The two founders I met at ... Kscope.
Thus without Kscope, I would have never
- started sharing my knowledge in the way I did since then.
- become an Oracle ACE (or ACE Director).
- written a chapter in an "Expert" book - and certainly not a whole book!
- started a company of my own.
So if you have never attended a Kscope conference before (or if you have!), come to New Orleans and join us! But be aware it might change your life ....