Skip to main content

Help! APEX is blowing up our memory!

That's the message I received from a DBA friend who ran into this problem at her customer site. What really happened was that a couple of times a week one of the APEX processes was killed by the operating system due to reaching the limit of 16Gb memory. 16Gb!
And this resulted in an ORA-04030 message in the Oracle Database.
So I went to that client site and we dove into the database log files, the APEX logging, the access log files and the error log files of the web server. Every time we noticed calls of WWW_FLOW_FILE_MGR.GET_FILE that seemed to be the problem. But the application wasn't huge, just 25 pages. Nothing complex, all pretty straight forward. So we started to look for the origin of those calls.
Just like in a lot of applications, this application also had a few images on the top of the screen (like Home, Logout, etc.). Just four or five on every page. However, these images were stored inside the APEX Repository, using the #WORKSPACE_IMAGES# substitution string. And that results in a call to WWW_FLOW_FILE_MGR.GET_FILE for every image. So that's five requests for every page, while it could - and should - be only one. And four executions of that procedure every time, while it could - and should - be zero. So I advised to move these images to the web server, so they can be cached and wouldn't result in hitting the database anymore.
But when this would be the cause of the problem, it made sense it would occur on peak times. But the problem didn't occur on peak times. The last one was that same morning around 4:30AM.
So we dove further and then we discovered that quite a few of the select statements in the application used #WORKSPACE_IMAGES# as well! So the procedure would be executed for every row returned by the select statement. So in some particular cases - just happening three times a week or so - the query would return 10,000 of rows. Or even millions. So the procedure would be executed that often. And the best thing is: the image that the select was trying to retrieve ... didn't even exists! So millions of calls to the database to retrieve ... nothing!
So changing the select statements and moving all images to the web server will reduce the number of calls to that procedure from millions (or 100 of millions) times a week to ... zero (?).
And the chances are the memory problem is gone to.

So when you run into these kind of problems were APEX seems to consume a lot of memory - or CPU for that matter - take a very good look to your own code first. The chances are that the resource consumption is not because APEX is misbehaving, but your code isn't optimal....
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A review of APEX World 2017 - Day 1

Last week the SS Rotterdam was the beautiful location of the largest gathering of APEX Developers worldwide. With around 380 (!) attendees a new high was set. And they came from all over the world : I spotted people from The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Croatia, Germany, Denmark, Norway, UK, Ireland and the USA. And I even might have missed one or two ….

The event started with a presentation by the “father of APEX”, Mike Hichwa, talking about "Oracle APEX Past, Present and Future”. Of course everyone is curious what the APEX future might bring: Friendly URL’s, automated testing, more JSON, concurrent APEX versions, third party Oauth 2 authentication (think Facebook, Google), APEX app diff and more, a lot more, REST capabilities. And now we have to wait for APEX 5.2 … and that might take a while! 
After this keynote, the conference split up in three tracks. After the coffee break I returned to to big theatre where Geertjan Wielenga talked about "Finally Javas…

Push changed rows to an Interactive Grid

For pushing changes from the database to the end user, the regular solution is using websockets. A change in a record is detected - using a trigger or using the CQN (Change Query Notification) feature - and a notification is send to a websocket server. That websocket server broadcasts the notification over a channel to all browsers that are tuned in to that websocket channel. Then the browser reacts to that notification, usually showing an alert or refreshing a report. This trick is described on multiple sites, just Google for "oracle apex websockets" or similar.

So back in the old days, we used that notification in the browser to refresh the (interactive) report. But along comes the Interactive Grid (IG). While he full-refresh mechanism still works for IG, an IG has also the option to refresh just one row.  So wouldn't it be awesome that just the changed row(s) get refreshed upon a change in the database, instead of the whole report? Can we do it ... yes we can!
First i…

Dockerize your APEX development environment

Nowadays Docker is everywhere. It is one of the main components of Continuous Integration / Continuous Development environments. That alone indicates Docker has to be seen more as a Software Delivery Platform than as a replacement of a virtual machine.

However ...

If you are running an Oracle database using Docker on your local machine to develop some APEX application, you will probably not move that container is a whole to test and production environments. Because in that case you would not only deliver a new APEX application to the production environment - which is a good thing - but also overwrite the data in production with the data from your development environment. And that won't make your users very excited.
So in this set up you will be using Docker as a replacement of a Virtual Machine and not as a Delivery Platform.
And that's exactly the way Martin is using it as he described in this recent blog post. It is an ideal way to get up and running with an Oracle database …