Skip to main content

APEX 5 New Column Link Features

In the current version of Oracle Application Express you could use up to three items in a Column Link.
Most of the times that is enough. But there were always some use cases where you needed four or even five. And of course, just like with all limitations, you can figure out a work around. But wouldn't it be just awesome if APEX offers us more items out of the box.

And in APEX 5 they do! The number of items you can use in a Column Link isn't restricted anymore. So you don't get four. Or five. Or even six. You get "unlimited" (between " because there's probably some 32k sizing limit somewhere.. but you'll get the point).

But wait ... there's more!
The "Target Type" isn't limited to "URL" or "Page in this Application". You can now - declaratively ! - link to Pages in other Applications as well as you can see below.
So one more reason to add to the already long lists of reasons to upgrade to APEX 5 as soon as we can ... maybe general availability will be announced at OOW ?? 
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Showing a success message after closing a modal dialog

APEX 5 comes with Modal Dialogs out of the box. Very neat. Especially for adding and changing data. And to minimise the number of time a user has to click, it could be useful to add a "Close Dialog" process after the actual data processing. When the data processing fails, the Dialog stays on top showing the error. When data processing runs fine, the Dialog is closed ... without any confirmation. And this might be scary for a shaky user.

So how can we provide the user some feedback? On Page 4 of the Sample Dialog Application you can see one solution: up on a Dialog Closed Event on the parent page it does a redirect to refresh the parent page appending the success message of the "Close Dialog" process. This has two drawbacks. First, it probably refreshes more than necessary. And second, if you're using multiple layers of dialogs (dialogs that open other dialogs) the message appears in the "parent dialog".
As an alternative you could follow these steps: 1…

APEX 5 New Static File Features

In APEX 4 you could upload files - like CSS files, JavaScript files, Images and whatever else you like - into the APEX Repository. When you navigate to Shared Components, there is a Files section that offers three different options:
CSS Files are always uploaded (and changed !) for the whole Workspace. For Images and Static Files (usually JavaScript) you could choose whether they should be available for the whole Workspace or for a specific Application only. And if you had a lot of files - e.g. a lot of images - then you had to go through the upload process one-by-one. But that's usually a one time only thing. If you make changes to the CSS and JavaScript files - and that's a continuous process in development - then you had to delete the existing file and upload the new one. Over and over again. And meanwhile fighting the cache of the webserver and your browser.  And another irritating issue: You couldn't use relative references in your CSS or JavaScript files as they just…

Using LDAP for Authentication and Authorization within APEX

One of my current customers would like to use their LDAP (Microsoft Active Directory) server for authentication and authorization of APEX applications. Of course we tried to set up a standard LDAP Authenication that's available within APEX. But we couldn't get that to work. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the client stored their Users within Groups within Groups within .... . Or maybe it doesn't do a full tree walk in the directory. Or maybe it is just because it is Microsoft - and not Oracle Internet Directory (OID). So we moved to a custom Authentication using the DBMS_LDAP functions (and some examples from the Pro Oracle Application Express book and Tim Hall - a.k.a. Oracle Base).

One of the issues we encountered that we wanted to use the user's login name, like "jdoe" and not his full name ("John Doe"). And the login name is stored in the "sAMAccountName" attribute. But authenticating using just "jdoe" didn't work. …