Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from February, 2013

Help! APEX is blowing up our memory!

That's the message I received from a DBA friend who ran into this problem at her customer site. What really happened was that a couple of times a week one of the APEX processes was killed by the operating system due to reaching the limit of 16Gb memory. 16Gb!
And this resulted in an ORA-04030 message in the Oracle Database. So I went to that client site and we dove into the database log files, the APEX logging, the access log files and the error log files of the web server. Every time we noticed calls of WWW_FLOW_FILE_MGR.GET_FILE that seemed to be the problem. But the application wasn't huge, just 25 pages. Nothing complex, all pretty straight forward. So we started to look for the origin of those calls.
Just like in a lot of applications, this application also had a few images on the top of the screen (like Home, Logout, etc.). Just four or five on every page. However, these images were stored inside the APEX Repository, using the #WORKSPACE_IMAGES# substitution string. And …